The Hours-of-Service (HOS) regulations for commercial drivers are some of the most important regulations in the trucking industry. In order to avoid the consequences of fines, out-of-service orders, and regulatory scores on your company and driver profiles, review these 10 violations and how to avoid them.
1. Poor driver log book form & manner – your driver log must be authorized and contain all required data items.
2. Outdated driver log book – your log must be current, up to and including the last change in duty status.
3. False driver log – knowingly falsifying a log could result in a penalty of up to $20,000.
4. No existing driver log – a log is required of anyone operating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) unless otherwise exempt by regulation.
5. No record of driver logs – after completing a log, you must keep it (or a copy) with you for the next 14 consecutive days.
6. 14-hour rule – you must stop driving a CMV after accumulating 14 hours of on-duty time from the end of the most recent 8 consecutive hours of off-duty time.
7. 13-hour rule – you must stop driving a CMV after accumulating 13 hours of driving time from the end of the most recent period of 8 consecutive hours of off-duty time.
8. 70/120 hour rule – you must stop driving a CMV after accumulating 70 hours over 7 consecutive days, or 120 hours over 14 consecutive days.
9. On-Board recorder – if using an On-Board recorder, you must be able to complete a handwritten daily log for the last 14 consecutive days.
10. Ignoring an out of service order – if you are placed out of service (OOS), you must not drive again until you’ve finished the required time off.
Visit http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2005-313/ for a complete list of Canadian Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours-of-Service regulations.
Canada Cartage is proud to have safety standards that consistently rank among the highest in the industry. We take a proactive approach by establishing safety programs that prepare our drivers. For more information, contact us at www.canadacartage.com/contact.